Sunday, December 28, 2008

Coddle

On Christmas Eve, we went to Monett for dinner and church with my parents and Grandma. My mom made coddle for us, along with lots of other goodies. Most recipes, I am happy to try out on my own. But her coddle is so good, and David is so crazy about it, that I've never even tried. In case you'd like to try it though, here is the original recipe.

Emeril Lagasse's Coddle:
6 strips bacon, small diced - this time she used peppered bacon and it was delicious
1/2 pound andouille sausage - if you live nearby, Harter House has the best. And I think my mom uses more than 1/2 a pound
1 cup onions, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp pepper
salt to taste
2 lbs baby red potatoes, diced into quarters
2 tsp fresh rosemary
2 c chicken stock

Render the bacon and sausage in a one gallon pot over medium high heat until the sausage is crispy. Add the onions to the pot and sweat for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic to the pot and sweat for 30 seconds. (I will admit - this was the point at which I decided not to make this. Render bacon? Sweat onions? What? I still don't know what those things mean.) Place the potatoes in the pot and add the chopped rosemary. Then add 2 cups chicken stock to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately.

This is one of those things that gets better with time. The only the better than fresh coddle is yesterday's coddle. Yum!

No comments: