Saturday, November 9, 2013

Refried Beans

These beans aren't really fried at all, but they are delicious!  Sometimes when I try to access this recipe from my board on Pinterest, it won't load.  Every time that has happened has been reason for a small panic attack, so I thought I'd save it here just in case.  It's from this website:  http://recipesingoodtaste.com/?recipe=recipe-slow-cooker-re-fried-beans.

1 pound dry pinto beans
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (I use the jar kind)
5 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon bacon grease (optional)

Rinse the beans (do not soak!) and add to the crock pot.  Add spices, onion, garlic.  Top with the water and mix.  Cook on low 8 hours or more.  Mash with a potato masher, then let them sit a while longer in the crock pot.  Add the bacon grease after mashing, if desired.

If you have any leftover after eating them as a side, then making bean dip or bean burritos, they can be frozen.

The first time I made them, I assumed they were supposed to soak overnight so that's what I did.  They were a bit soup that time since they couldn't absorb the water as they cooked, but still pretty good!  They may be soupy again this time, as the recipe wouldn't load on my phone so I was working from memory.  My memory told me to add 6 cups of water, so we'll see!  They smell amazing!

No comments: