Monday, November 26, 2012

Cherry Pie Bars

Found this on Pinterest...recipe from http://www.therecipecritic.com/2012/10/cherry-pie-bars.html

I made these for Thanksgiving as an alternative to pumpkin desserts for my dad. They were delicious...very, very sweet.


This is the original recipe from the site above.  The only thing I changed was leaving out the almond extract.  It was great without it, so I doubt I'll include it next time either.  I just used one can of cherries.  Two, as suggested, would be great, but I think it would be more difficult to cut into bars. 


Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 (21 ounce) cherry pie filling 2 if you like cherries (highly recommend)

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbs milk

1. Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs and beat well.  Beat in extracts.


2. In a separate bowl combine flour and salt.  Add to the creamed mixture.  Mix until combined.


3. Spread 3 cups batter in a 15x10x1 (Also works with 9x13- baking time will at least be 35 minutes)  Spread with pie filling.  Drop remaining batter on top of pie filling.


4. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.  Cool on wire rack.  Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over the bars. 

1 comment:

Maria said...

That sounds so good! And I am so a two can of cherry person...