Friday, November 22, 2013

Cucumber Salad

One of my colleagues brought this to a potluck lunch yesterday.  I'm not ashamed to admit it...I had thirds.  When he sent me the recipe, I was surprised at the simplicity.  The fresh dill?  Magic.  It's what really makes the salad.

Here's his recipe:
2 large cucumbers
1 small red onion
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar (I usually use 1.5 teaspoons of sugar, experiment to your own taste)
 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill (fresh dill makes a world of difference as opposed to dried).

Directions
(I peel my cucumbers but you don’t have to)
Slice the cucumbers lengthwise, remove the seeds, scrape 'em out with a spoon, and slice thinly. Thinly slice the onion.

In a colander, toss the cucumber and onion with the salt (you can use more salt if you want, the salt draws the moisture out of the cucumbers so they will soak up the vinegar quickly.) and let it sit and drain for 20 minutes. Press the liquid out of the vegetables and rinse well with cold water. ( rinse off all of the salt)

In a medium bowl combine the vinegar and sugar and stir well.(let sit, stirring occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved) Add the cucumber mixture and toss to coat. Stir in the dill at the very last. You can serve this immediately.

This gets better the longer it sits I usually let mine sit in the refrigerator for four hours to overnight stirring it once or twice, and will keep for several days.  I like to add some cherry tomatoes or sweet red bell peppers to mine.
Also I usually double the recipe because it’s addictive!



No comments: